Language can play an important role in making students feel comfortable approaching you to discuss accommodations. 作为一个好的经验法则, think about using person-first language rather than putting the disability first. 作为一个例子, you would refer to a student with a common reading-based disability as a “student with dyslexia” instead of the “dyslexic student.” Individuals with disabilities are first and foremost people and do not want to be defined by his/her disability first. 事实上, a student may choose not to share the specific disability with you but rather discuss functional limitations or how the disability will impact them in your classroom.
A key point to course accessibility is to consider providing content multi-modally so that students can access material in a variety of ways. You can create content to be friendly to screen readers or provide captions for those that may use them. 美洲国家组织设立了一个 Quick Tips and Tricks for Document 可访问性 guide, though there are many additional resources available in this area. Below, we will focus on 微软文字处理软件, 微软演示文稿, Adobe Acrobat, and videos.
- Creating an Accessible Office Document 微软: self-paced course providing hands-on practice for implementing accessibility features in the context of varying disabilities (30 - 40分钟)
- 创建可访问的文档视频 微软: short video providing a brief tutorial on creating 图像的替代文本, heading paragraph styles and using the 可访问性检查器 (5分钟)
- 微软文字处理软件 by WebAIM (Web 可访问性 in Mind): written tutorial including step-by-step instructions with pictures and screen shots. 主题包括如何使用标题, 图像的替代文本, accessibility challenges with data tables, 链接, 可访问性检查器 and how to convert a Word document to HTML and PDF.
Adobe Acrobat PDF
- WebAIM PDF可访问性 (网页无障碍): written tutorial including step-by-step instructions with pictures and screen shots. Topics cover how to convert to accessible PDFs, 使用标签, use the Touch Up Reading Order tool as well as provide an overview of other tools and features.
- Creating an Accessible PDF in Adobe Acrobat 亚岗昆学院: short video reviewing how to use the “Make Accessible” feature, 描述文档, 将文本识别为OCR设置, 并添加替代文本的图像 (4分钟)
- WebAIM的PowerPoint可访问性 (网页无障碍): written tutorial including step-by-step instructions with pictures and screen shots. 涵盖的主题包括幻灯片布局, 图像的替代文本, accessibility challenges with data tables, 链接, 大纲和注释面板, 可访问性检查器, and converting PowerPoint to HTML and PDF.
- Creating Accessible PowerPoint Presentations Video 亚岗昆学院: short video reviewing step-by-step process to use built-in slide layouts, 主幻灯片, 设置选项卡的订单, 避免过渡和动画 (5分钟)
- 白头翁之类 has a free add-on to check for accessibility of Google Docs, Sheets or Slides. The free version has the ability to scan all documents in a 谷歌驱动 folder to assess whether they are accessible, or if accessibility improvements need to be made.
- 创建易访问的视频 密歇根州立大学: written guide providing instructions for creating captions and transcripts for videos. Links to related video tutorials and a free software download for transcribing materials are also provided.
- 残疾礼仪指南: Created by the United Spinal Association to go into greater detail on interacting with people with disabilities overall as well as individuals with varying disability types
- 老师的房间:由DO-IT(残疾, 机会, 网络互连, and Technology) at the University of Washington to provide faculty with increased resources and best practices relating to students with disabilities in the classroom
- 投: Non-profit research and development organization that works to expand learning opportunities for all individuals, 特别是残疾人, 通过通用学习设计